The cake will be quite wet, indeed that’s why we call it a pudding cake. As it stands the fruit will release more juice, and so it keeps very well, if you can resist it!
250g muscovado sugar
2 teaspoons mixed spice
250g wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs 125ml Wild Spice ale
400g chopped Bramley apples (peeled and cored)
- Cream together the butter, spice and sugar.
- Sift together the baking powder and the flour.
- Alternately add the beaten egg and the flour.
- Fold in the fruit.
- Add the ale
- Line an 8 inch spring loaded cake tin with buttered greaseproof paper.
- Place the mixture in the tin.
- Bake for 60 minutes at Gas Mark 4/180°C.
Thanks to chef Richard Hughes for providing us with this recipe.
Chef Richard Hughes is well-known throughout Norfolk, thanks to his regular recipe pages in the Eastern Daily Press and EDP Norfolk magazine. ... A skilled chef and former Norwich City College tutor, he is often asked to demonstrate at cookery events and is a frequent contributor to BBC Radio Norfolk programmes.